Friday, October 12, 2012

Caramelized Onion, Bacon, and Gruyere Quiche


Long time no dish. I'm back, lovely friends. It's been a crazy two months. Thank you to all of you who have made me feel alternately wonderful and guilty during my absence from the blogosphere by telling me that you like reading the things that are posted here. Thank you, thank you, thank you. My two-month sortie into the "real world" (i.e. jobosphere) has been illuminating in more ways than one...but probably the biggest is that working 9 to 6 with a half hour commute on either end leaves little time for cooking. And even less time for blogging about said cooking. 

But this is not a time for regrets! It's a time for new beginnings! And not only for new jobs...and new blog posts...but also a new kitchen, in my new apartment in Brooklyn. I just want to prepare you--remember those lovely granite countertops? Gone. The fully stocked pantry with things like salt, sugar, and frozen homemade chicken stock? Gone. And--I can barely bring myself to speak of it--that immersion blender? All, all is lost. Sorry to be so dramatic, I'll stop. It is a very different kitchen than the one you've been seeing, and the one I've been used to cooking in. But it's my first real kitchen that's truly mine--one that I get to stock with goodies and fill with delicious smells (along with my two fabulous roommates). 


So here we are. I'm looking for my next gig, on a budget, in a new, un-stocked kitchen...what is the first thing I want to make? Something a little bit special, a little bit decadent, and a little bit familiar--a caramelized onion, bacon, and gruyere quiche.


Oh, and despite the picture above, this recipe actually does make a whole quiche. Obviously, it gets eaten pretty quickly.


Thank goodness lovely Hannah was here to restrain me from going too crazy at the farmer's market. That being said, do you see the size of that garlic in the miss en place picture?!


Super easy stuff here, folks: pre-made pie crust, eggs, fancy gruyere, garlic, and some high-quality pork is all you need. Please imagine two more eggs in this picture...thank you. 
Caramelizing some onions takes a little time, but it's nothing you can't do while also frying bacon and whipping up eggs. I like mine caramelized, but some like their onions burnt. You decide!

 Add some heavy cream to your eggs along with some salt and pepper and whip it on up.
 For some reason I am really into this picture...aside from the fact that there is farm-fresh bacon in it, the curly strips look really pretty, right? It's sad to crumble such artistry, but someone's gotta eat it. So go ahead.

Grate up your cheese...and take a textured picture of it!
Layer all of your delicious fillings in the pie shell...and pour on your eggs. Look at Hannah's lovely layering! A little shake to settle the egg/fillins is not amiss here. Put 'er in the oven!

Please forgive/indulge Hannah and I for the lack of pictures here...but if your kitchen smelled like bacon, wouldn't you want to eat this as soon as possible? I thought so.










Some other time we can fight about whether or not the number of eggs here makes this a quiche or a frittata...but in the meantime I think we can all agree that it makes it delicious. It's good to be back! 


Caramelized onion, bacon, and gruyere quiche

  • 1 frozen pie crust
  • 2 Tablespoons olive oil or butter
  • 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 6 slices bacon
  • 8 eggs
  • 3 Tablespoons heavy cream
  • 1/3 cup shredded gruyere
  • Salt and pepper 
  1. Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees. If necessary, pre-bake your pie crust according to the box directions.
  2. Heat the olive oil or butter in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and sauté until dark brown and carmelized, about 15-20 minutes. 
  3. While the onions cook, fry the bacon. Drain fat and crumble. Set aside.
  4. Make sure the onions aren't burning! When they are done, remove from the heat and stir in garlic. 
  5. Assemble quiche fillings: fill pie crust with a layer of onion and garlic mixture, crumbled bacon, and gruyere.
  6. Beat eggs, heavy cream, and salt and pepper until combined. Pour into crust, shake to distribute evenly, and place quiche in oven for 30-40 minutes. Remove when top is slightly brown and center no longer jiggles. 

No comments:

Post a Comment