Thursday, January 3, 2013

Roasted Red Pepper and Corn Polenta "Pizza"


There are some things a typical food blogger can take for granted these days. For example, I can rest assured that you know what quinoa is. And probably kale. And you have heard of and maybe even practice Meatless Mondays. One thing I can't take for granted, though, is that you'll go for something like cashew cheese, especially on a blog that has waxed poetic on the deliciousness of bacon and all things porcine. If you kept reading after "cashew cheese," well done! This dish is delicious and amazing. Here is how I plan to convince you:
  • This recipe was inspired by a super hip pizza place in a super hip city called Portland, Oregon. Dove Vivi's cornmeal crust pizza is divine, and since Brooklyn and Portland are hipster soul mates, I was pretty sure I could replicate it on the East Coast. This recipe is pretending to be a pizza--that's why there's "cheese" and toppings.
  • This probably one of the tastiest and easiest things you can make from all-pantry ingredients. 
  • Cashew cheese is basically hummus. Trust me, if you like hummus, you will like cashew cheese. You can even call it cashew hummus if that will help you get over it. 
Porbably the best recommendation I can give is this; I, who truly appreciate all things meaty and bready and non-vegan-y, made this for myself. And I loved it. I promise you will, too.    


First things first, our mise-en-place: some cashews, frozen corn, roasted red peppet, chopped onions, minced garlic, a bit of lemon juice, and a big 'ol bowl of leftover cooked polenta. I'm glad the sea salt made it into the picture, too, as we'll use a pinch to season our cashew concoction. Mark Bittman's How To Cook Everything is also in the background, because just looking at that hefty encyclopedia comforts me. It's weird. Let's make it!

The onions take the longest, so we'll start with those. First, olive oil goes into a pan over medium-high heat.
Then our onions...such sizzling! You can get everything else ready while these are browning--just keep an eye on them so they don't burn.
While those brown and sweeten up, we'll make the cashew cheese. It is super simple--cashews, garlic, lemon juice, and a pinch of salt get whirled in the blender. Because I didn't feel like soaking the cashews like I was supposed to (two hours is so long!), I just let them soak for 5 minutes in a bit of boiling water, and added more to puree them. "It'll be fine," I thought.
Whoops. I will be honest--it looked pretty digusting. But it is actually delicious! Most people (who don't mind waiting for food) let the "cheese" firm up in the fridge for a few hours, where it will become nice and creamy. I'm sure it would be even creamier if you actually soaked the cashews. Either way, it will taste great--perfect polenta topping!  
 Let's check on the onions. They are browning nicely! And you don't want to overcook them up here, since they'll be going into the oven on top of the polenta "pizza" for 20 minutes.
 Add your corn--I let it brown a bit for some extra flavor, but that's not totally necessary.
 And the roasted red peppers, just to warm them through. It's "pizza" making time!
 I had had great hopes that the olive oil on the bottom of the sheet pan would help the polenta get really crispy, like an actually pizza. That is not exactly what happened--but it turned out delicious anyway! And it didn't stick to the pan! Make sure the olive oil gets to all of the corners, if you please.
 The cooked and cooled polenta becomes our "crust." The six cups fit just about perfectly in a regular-size sheet pan, standing about 3/4 of an inch tall.  
Spread out your cashew "cheese" in a nice, even layer...
 And top with your roasted red pepper, onion, and corn mixture. It'll go in the oven and the flavors will really meld. But before that, pause and look--isn't it pretty? It feels so bright during drab winter months. I know you're probably looking at this and wondering, "why would I make and then eat a vegan and gluten free dinner? Seriously, why?" And the answer, my friends, is because it tastes great. You're going to have to trust me on this, because it does not photograph well.
As examples A, B, C, and D prove.
 And yet...there's something rustic and charming about it. If there is one thing 2013 has brought me, it is peace with my failures in the kitchen. Even though the polenta didn't get crispy, even though it is not very attractive--it is one of my new favorite dishes. If you don't have leftover polenta, I would try these toppings on a regular crust, or over rice or another grain. It's a winning combination, and I hope you try it. Happy New Year!
Roasted Red Pepper and Corn Polenta "Pizza"
  • 3 Tbsp olive oil
  • 1 1/4 cup chopped onion (about 1/2 of a medium onion)
  • 1/2 cup corn kernels, fresh or frozen
  • 1 cup chopped roasted red pepper (about 4 roasted peppers)
  • 1 1/2 cup cashews, soaked 2 hours in 1 cup water or soaked 5 minutes in 1/4 cup boiling water
  • 1 1/2 Tbsp lemon juice
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • pinch of salt
  • 6 cups cooked and cooled polenta
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees Farenheit.
  2. Heat 1 Tbsp of olive oil in a pan over medium high-heat. Add the onions, and cook until browned and translucent, about 10 minutes. Add the corn and roasted red peppers to warm or brown, and turn off heat.
  3. Make cashew "cheese": blend cashews, lemon juice, garlic, and a pinch of salt in a blender or food processor. Add water as needed for a thick and smooth puree--you're looking for a hummus or bean-dip like consistency.
  4. Rub roasting pan with remaining 2 Tbsp olive oil. Press cooled polenta into pan, spreading to edges, at about 3/4 of an inch thick.
  5. Top polenta with layer of cashew "cheese," and onions, red onions, and corn. Place "pizza" in the oven for 18-20 minutes, until edges begin to brown slightly and pull away from the pan. Let cool 5 minutes, then cut into squares and serve.
Serves 5-6 as a main dish, 10-12 as a side

1 comment:

  1. Hi Dara - Tremendous post! Stumbled across your blog looking for polenta pizza ideas and couldn't stop laughing. While I totally agree about food blog fatigue over quinoa, I'm also a guilty contributor. Gave me some great ideas and I also have a new blog to follow!

    ReplyDelete