Thursday, June 7, 2012

Chilled Carrot Apple Ginger Soup

In two days I am getting my wisdom teeth out. All four of them. I had an inkling that it wouldn't be a picnic, but I was definitely not prepared to hear that I would not be attending picnics of any kind for a week--my cheeks would be swollen and bruised, and I wouldn't be able to chew (or suck through a straw!) for about 5 days. Needless to say, I did some serious panic grocery shopping. Inspired by Mark Bittman's timely column from last Sunday's New York Times Magazine, I decided to make a cold soup that would be both tasty and healthy--and that I could drink from a mug. Here is Chilled Carrot Apple Ginger Soup!



Just as I was pouring chicken stock into the pot, I realized how delicious it would be with apple cider as the liquid. Try it and let me know how it is!


Six ingredients is all you need! Butter, onion, apples, carrots, ginger root, and some kind of liquid to purée it all into soupy goodness.  

Sauté the onions and carrots in butter until they start to get soft.


To chop an apple, cut it in half... 


Angle the knife to cut out the core... 


Slice into matchsticks, then rotate 90 degrees and chop.


Add the apple, and sauté until slightly soft.


 Add the liquid: cover and simmer 20 minutes until the vegetables are completely soft. I like to add the ginger halfway through the simmer so the flavor doesn't completely cook out. But if you forget, you're the only one who's gonna know about it. So don't worry!


This is an immersion blender, and probably one of my favorite kitchen tools. Of course, a regular blender works just as well, but I didn't really feel like cleaning out a blender today...plus immersion ones are just fun to use!

Purée until smooth, and let cool. 


Chill at least overnight to allow flavors to meld.

Serve. Yum! It's good even if you aren't getting your wisdom teeth out. Trust me. 

Chilled Carrot Apple Ginger Soup

  • 1 Tbsp butter
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1 lb carrots, chopped
  • 2 apples, chopped (Braeburns or Pink Ladies work well, but any crispy juicy apple will work)
  • 1 one-inch piece ginger root, minced
  • 3 1/2 cups liquid--water, stock, or apple cider



  1. Sauté butter, onions, and carrots in a large pot for 3 minutes.
  2. Add apples and cook another 2 minutes.
  3. Add liquid and cover, simmering for 20 minutes. At 10 minutes, add minced ginger.
  4. Remove from heat and let cool 10 minutes.
  5. Puree until smooth with immersion blender or stand blender. Chill completely before serving. Makes 1 1/2 quarts.



NOTE: If using a traditional stand blender, pureé in small batches. Cover blender with a kitchen towel to prevent splatter.

1 comment:

  1. Getting my immersion blender was a transformative event! I am looking forward to making your soups!

    ~Ronnie R.

    ReplyDelete