Monday, June 4, 2012

Da Radishes

Welcome to Dara's Dish! I've wanted to start a food blog for about a million years now, and since I just graduated college I've been feeling a lot of (self-inflicted) pressure to make some real-life resolutions and start carrying them out. So here goes.

My mom is a fantastic cook, and pretty much as soon as I could eat solid foods I took an interest in whatever she was standing over at the stove. While I was in high school, this interest got a little more fanatical as I started reading M.F.K. Fisher, Anthony Bourdain, Julia Child, and Ruth Reichl, and apprenticed in a catering kitchen. The summer after my first year of college I lived alone for the first time, and spent almost as much money on food as I did on rent (well, maybe not that much. But I did learn the dangers of having a supermarket in walking distance!). As cliché as it sounds, good food and fresh ingredients are what I'm all about. This blog will have a lot of both, and maybe someone will even read it.

I want this blog to be a place for pretty photos, occasionally witty writing, and lots and lots of comments--a place where we can all figure things out about food together. I am so glad to be back in a real kitchen after four years on a meal plan [insert fist pump here]. Hopefully I will focus on just plain ol' good food--the kinds of things I like to make and eat. When I'm feeling fancy, I might dip a toe into reviewing restaurants, asking and answering esoteric food questions (SAT vocab alert!), and writing long-form. Of course, I hope this will also be fun--for me to write and for you to read!

Oh, and as to the title of this post--once I made the URL I realized it could be read as either "Dara Dishes" or "Da Radishes." While we will be eating some of da radishes soon, I would love if you read the URL as "Dara Dishes" in your head. If you don't, I'll know about it.  Okee-dokee! Let's put this blog in the oven and hope it doesn't burn!

No comments:

Post a Comment